After selecting a date and location for the wedding, one of the next things I listed as a priority was selecting a photographer. This ranked pretty high on my to-do list because after all…this is the person who would create the memories you will cherish for the rest of your life. There are A LOT of photographers to choose from. So, where do you begin?
From the start all I knew was the photos have to tell the story of our day. Sure, the traditional, posed shots are nice to have but we wanted more. I’ve heard from our married friends and family that the day goes by so fast. So, our chosen photographer would not only have to suit our personalities, but we wanted someone who could capture our moments for us to remember.
With many styles of photography – traditional, romantic, candid, photojournalism, etc., it’s difficult to immediately understand the different styles and know what it is that you want. However, I’ve found that most photographers have blogs showcasing their talent while telling us of their personal experiences with each couple. During your search, this really helps to see if the photographers’ styles match what you are looking for.
After months of interviewing and meeting with several to compare, we finally decided to hire OMC Studios. Below are some helpful questions I brought with me to each meeting along with some tips I learned about when selecting our photographer:
- How long has the photographer been shooting weddings? What kind of photography style does he/she have?
- Have the photographers shot at your ceremony and reception locations in the past? It was helpful to know OMC Studios has shot at our ceremony location because some churches have strict guidelines. So, our photographers already know the drill!
- How many photographers will shoot your wedding? I’ve noticed there is usually more than one photographer available with each vendor. If there is more than one who plans to be shooting your wedding, I’d recommend also asking if you could meet with the additional photographer in person and see their portfolios as well to give you a better idea.
- Is the photographer you’re meeting with someone you see yourselves getting along with? The unique thing about OMC Studios and one of the reasons we enjoyed their company so much is the sense that our photographer not only wanted to get to know us, the bride and groom, but they also want to get to know our family and close friends as well so when it comes to our wedding day, it’s as if they were our long lost relatives.
- Be sure to ask and understand all costs associated with the package you select. Most vendors are flexible with customizing packages to meet your needs. Some questions to keep in mind: Does it include reprints and albums? Will the package include engagement, bridal, day after photos?
- How long will it take to get your proofs, album, bridal portrait, etc.?
These are your memories. They are priceless. I’m so excited to work with our photographer and can’t wait to see the images after our wedding that we will continue to treasure for years to come.