Last year, the commercial world welcomed Pantone’s energizing Tangerine Tango as its source of design and inspiration. This year, it embraced relaxing Emerald Green as color of the year, and as basis of spring and summer palettes. And, just like that, Emerald’s reign is three-fourths done, with just four more months to savor and be enthralled by the opulent hue.
But even before it became the inspiration for this year’s chosen one, humankind has been enamored with Emeralds for thousands of lifetimes. Its rich color and ability to refract light have led ancient cultures and modern day meta-healing practitioners to attribute a host of mystical properties to it.
Below are a few of them, related to love:
• Discerns fidelity. Emeralds were associated with the ancient goddess, Venus, and therefore, with love. The Greeks and the Romans believed that if a lover was faithful, the emerald he or she wore would glow a rich green color. Any hint of infidelity and the gem would lose its radiance and brilliant hue. Therefore, it was used to determine the depth of a lover’s devotion. Today, modern mystics recommend wearing emerald jewelry to attract love.
• Enhances fertility. As the dominant color of spring, and of such goddesses as Venus and Aphrodite, emeralds were also strongly associated with fertility. One could imagine an ancient cherished practice of gifting a young bride with it, with the admonishment of taking it to bed with her and her husband. Ancient Egyptians believed similarly, and also connected it with eternal youth and rebirth.
• Strengthens love. Emeralds were also said to improve the quality of love and to strengthen the bond between lovers. Aside from detecting and protecting one from another’s infidelity, emeralds are also believed to attract and nourish love. It is said to help lovers manifest their affection, as well as increase their devotion to one another.
• Grants eternal youth. What would pure and undying love be, without eternal youth? Ancient Egyptians carved out emerald scarabs to bury with their mummies, believing that the gemstone would grant the deceased eternal youth in the afterlife. Today, metaphysical practitioners wear emeralds to heal physical ailments, and promote physical well-being; prolonging life and extending one’s time with a loved one.
• Nurtures mental well-being. Believers in the therapeutic powers of crystals attest that emeralds are powerful items to focus on when clearing the mind. They are believed to rid the mind of negative thoughts, enhance creativity, and restore one’s faith – effects that are all equally useful in upholding the quality of love in a relationship.
Emeralds, much like diamonds and silver, have been so much a part of the tapestry of mankind’s quest for love. The infographic below provides more fascinating facts about its mystifying qualities; and the fertile enchantment of this deep green gemstone.