Painted Wedding Parasols are the latest and greatest wedding accessory/prop you can have. There are a few sources on ETSY that offer them and you can really have anything painted on them–from “Thank You” to “Just Married” to your monogram, the options are endless! I was so seduced by these umbrellas that I decided to try to make some myself … I wanted to be different than the usual, so I found colorful parasols to paint on instead of painting on plain white ones like most people do.
Here are some of the cute ones I’ve found:
And here is the fabulous one I made:
Since this the is the first one I made, I am giving it to one of my bride’s to use at her wedding later this month. I am excited to see how they use it in the pro photos!
Want to DIY a parasol of your very own? Here is my advice:
- Purchase a paper Parasol that is at least 28″ wide.
- Decide on your paint colors. If using a colored parasol, use black or white paint. If using a white parasol, pick any color/s you want!
- Layout the text: If you have computer design programs like Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator, make a large circle (the same diameter as your parasol) and lay out your text on it. Print on separate sheets and tape together to make one large word/symbol template. Tape the template paper sheets with masking tape (which you can later easily remove without damaging the paper) to the front of the parasol. Shine a light on the front of the parasol and trace with a paint marker the outline of your text template on the back/inside of the parasol.
- If you do not have computer programs, look up a font you like and then freehand it onto the front of the umbrella with a skinny paint marker.
- Fill in your paint marker with real paint of the same color. This will make the type POP off the umbrella in person and in photos.
- Allow to dry open overnight.
- Add a bow to the handle if you wish for added detail.
- Enjoy your umbrella and use it in lots of your outdoor photos!