Cupcakes are becoming more and more commonplace at weddings (especially at urban affairs) and I just LOVE when they are decorated with little flags! There are so many options out there for adding pizazz to your cupcakes…from patterned holders to fancy stands to my personal favorite: CUPCAKE FLAGS!
Cupcake flags can be purchased on a variety of websites if you do not have the patience/means to make them yourself. Etsy has a variety of great cupcake flag vendors and I have included an assortment of my favorite ones below along with DIY instructions for ambitious brides! And don’t limit cupcakes to just the wedding–they are perfect for showers, bachelorette parties and other celebrations too!
DIY Cupcake Flags
Round wooden toothpicks
Computer with a design program (although you could try using MS Word)
Small Beads (Crystal or pearl)
Scissors or paper cutter
Clear craft glue
- Create a box that is at least 2″ wide x 1″ tall. I usually make mine 2.5″ wide and 1″ tall. You may also wish to make circle-shaped or pointed flags–but those will be harder to cut out-so keep that in mind if you need hundreds of these! Although round/scalloped edge ones would be much easier if you have a punch.
- Design your monogram, pattern or fun sayings within the box you created. Duplicate your box and lay them out next to each other with the sides budded up against each other.
- Duplicate your long two-sided flag a bunch of times on the same sheet so you can easily cut them out. Print them on your color printer. Make sure the margins do not cut off your guidelines or design.
- Cut out and crease your design down the middle
- Open up your design and lay it face down on a flat, dry surface. I usually put craft paper down when I am going to spray glue so nothing else gets ruined with the glue. Spray glue the backside of the flag.
- While glue is still wet and tacky, put toothpick into center crease you already created and fold sides shut.
- Cut off access overlap on sides and glue bead to the top. Now you have a cute cupcake flag!